Case studies are the smartest spend you’ll ever make. This page tells you why, but you can also:
Who am I, and what do I know about your industry?
My name is Leticia Mooney, and the first thing you should know about me is that have never worked in ‘traditional’ B2B services industries like accounting or law or architecture. I am not even a marketer! Who am I to tell you what the entire market does?
But what I am expert in is getting stories out of people. The type of stories that will make you more money.
Wouldn’t you love to make more sales inspired by trust, that you can showcase?
Well, keep reading. This may be the most important information you read this year.
So stay with me just a moment. I want to share with you a story.
It’s about one of our B2B services clients, a B2B services business whose founder despaired of ever growing enough. Even though she followed the advice of ‘thought leaders’ in the market.
Let’s call the business owner Sharon (she’s a real person, but this isn’t her real name). Like yours, her business is in a competitive industry.
Sharon did everything business gurus and coaches tell you to do. She
- was a regular at networking events
- was part of industry associations
- talked to people she knew were decision-makers and potential users of her service
- wrote blogs
- advertised on Facebook
- spent time on social media.
Her personal brand was really something. But her sales? Pfft.
Her existing clients loved her, but she couldn’t break through to the next level.
Do any of these sound familiar to you? :
- Industry associations asked her for speaker recommendations, instead of showcasing her business
- Ideal prospects talked to her but bought in another business to do the work instead
- Active social media almost never turned into real business
- Always busy, but never closing the right business or talking to the right people
- People read her blogs but never took action to buy — in over 4 years!
- People always said yes to writing reviews… and then never actually wrote them.
If it does, then you know exactly how Sharon felt.
But I had seen her in action. I know the incredible outcomes she achieves. So I decided enough was enough.
That’s how I came to tell her to stop talking about herself, and to start telling her clients’ stories instead.
What Sharon’s business did to earn trust was transformative. It’s so easy that any busy service provider can do the same thing.
What Sharon did was agree to do our case studies.
All she had to do was set aside 30 minutes for an initial conversation with us, and then make some quick, warm introductions by email.
We did the rest, and Sharon has never looked back.
- Elicit your clients stories, and never again get a bland, unhelpful ‘this is great’ review.
- Show prospects exactly why people buy from you
- Show prospects exactly how people made their decisions
- Demonstrate why your service is effective
- Address client questions without even trying
- Make your prospects feel like they know you and what you do, before they even experience it.
Marketers bang on about ‘storytelling’, but I’ll level with you:
You’ve got to tell the RIGHT story!
The fastest, most effective way to do it is with a case study.
- It’s your client speaking, NOT you
- It hits your prospects’ specific questions, like:
- Why would I work with this company?
- What are they like to work with?
- How should I make a decision for or against?
- What is the level of quality?
- What did the company not sell that buyers receive?
- What was surprising?
- What was helpful?
- What was unhelpful or could have been better?
- Was it a fair amount of money?
- Why are they still fans, even after the “bad” stuff?
- … and MORE!
- It gives your prospects real value
- It makes you known even when you don’t know you’re being looked at.
Used right, a great case study can more than halve your lead-time from quote to sale, because people are quicker to trust you.
The best thing?
Case studies are the smartest ways to spend your marketing budget, because case studies just keep giving.
There are more than 14 ways you can use a single case study.
The case study that Leticia did for my project [with a joint venture partner] was so good that I’ve built case studies into tenders — at their request. They loved having the opportunity to really think about, and showcase, their own business.~ Gina, Training x Design, Adelaide.
Tenders is just one way you can use your case study.
You can also:
- Use them to apply for and acquit grants, especially if a politician who doesn’t know what you do is going to read it. It shows what you do and why you’re great at it.
- Break them up into soundbites for social media, to scatter on your Instagram, to post on Facebook
- Use the key points in press releases
- Add them to your quotes and proposals! When you are a prospect, few things are as convincing as getting a story about someone else with your exact problem, and how the proposing business solved it.
- Use them as blogs - or a series of blogs
- Break them up into drip campaigns for sales funnels
- Use them as ebooks to capture leads on your website
- Use them for training and example setting for new or existing team members
- … and more besides.
No other type of content has a lifespan like a case study.
And that is the holy grail of business content: Something you buy once, but that continues to make you money.
That’s when it truly becomes an asset.
Now you’ve read the bulk of our message. Why are our case studies any different from yours?
You might already have ‘a content person’ in your business. You probably have a Communication or Marketing department. They are probably churning out loads of great stuff, every single day. So why would you outsource something you can do in-house, cheaper?
1. People are more honest with us than they are with you.
It sucks, and it hurts, but it’s true.
Have you heard of the Human Courtesy Bias? It’s a real thing. It’s that tendency we all have not to give negative feedback for fear of offending people.
You already know that asking clients for feedback tends to get you results that they think you want to hear, right?
The Human Courtesy Bias results in people wanting to be helpful instead of honest. That’s why you will rarely get the true story from your clients.
When we talk to them, they know that we’re safe to talk to. We aren’t involved in the transactional relationship that you have with them. This distance means that helpful becomes honest.
2. It’s our core business
Case studies aren’t your core business, but they are ours. They’re backed up by more than a decade of experience in turning interviews into conversations… which means people talk, not perform.
Communication and marketing teams have to do so much more: They handle social media, advertising campaigns, blogs, newsletters, annual reports, interactions with the press. They run your intranet, and your website. They back up your sales and customer service teams with promotions. And more besides!
I won’t lie to you. When your customers are so engaged in a conversation that they forget they’re being interviewed, that is where magic happens.
3. Case studies are done WRONG more than they are done RIGHT.
They’re not a time for you to sell.
They’re not a time for you to just bang on about why you are great, and faultless, and flawless.
It’s not a time to just ‘get the facts’ or some sharp, snappy quotes.
They’re an opportunity to have a deep, relaxed, flowing conversation to learn about a relationship. The outcome is something that shows all of the nuances of a client relationship.
That is a case study.
A case study done right is honest about the process. It shows your customers talking about the tricky stuff. Those times when you didn’t know if it was going to work, or they weren’t sure they were going to work with you. The times when you made magic happen for someone else.
It’s moments like these that make your business human, relatable.
4. Our case studies make sure they touch the key issues of your prospects’ decision-making
When case studies form a critical part of your prospects’ decision-making, you can assign them a percentage of your clients’ lifetime value.
When you do that, you know immediately:
- how much the case study is worth
- how much actual, financial value it adds to your business
- how to determine whether or not subsequent case studies are even more helpful — such as creating a definitive decision arc.
5. They give you the insight of deep research
When you are doing case studies yourself, your clients tell you what they think you want to hear.
When we do them, we can explore their Real Experience. They tell us what sucked about the service or product; how things could have been better; what they wish they’d received. They even tell us about the complexities of getting their bosses to say yes to your service!
The value of this lies in its research output. It shows you exactly what your clients are dealing with. It shines a light on what is really valuable. Forget assuming, or guessing. Our process gives it to you on a platter.
One of our clients believed that his high-touch customer service was a liability. In talking to his client, we learned that it was the key reason why they chose his business.
What decisions are you making, without knowing them to be good ones?
Is a case study a magic bullet?
If someone tells you it is, they’re lying.
Every internet guru tell you to do ‘this one thing’ and you’ll get amazing results. Every SEO person, every website builder, digital marketer, and social media consultant.
Every one of them is telling you to do this, that, and the other.
Know that nothing is a magic bullet. Even the best case study on earth. It’s what you do with them that counts.
If you’re looking for fast content to make you money fast, please go away. You’ll be horribly disappointed and end up hating us. Here’s something amazing you can get some dopamine from instead.
The truth is the internet is full of snake oil and charlatans.
Facebook itself was found in 2018 to have lied about the effectiveness of video, just to make more money.(1)
In December 2018, fake reviews started appearing en masse as spam in Google reviews.(2)
We get it: Reviews are great (all of ours are 5 stars!). But can you trust them?
It’s no wonder people don’t know what to trust.
People perceive case studies differently, because they are different.
Case studies take special skills, time and effort, and attention. Above all, they require permission.
Your clients have to say yes.
Your clients have to participate.
How effectively you use them is up to you. When you do leverage a great case study, the sky is the limit.
But don’t take my word for it. Scholars have studied the effectiveness of the case study in great depth. From one journal paper: ‘The case study approach allows in-depth, multi-faceted explorations of complex issues in their real-life settings.’(3)
You know yourself that finding a trustworthy service provider is a complex issue. Imagine how hard it is for your prospects when they don’t even know what they’re looking for.
Knowing the complexity of a good case study, would you just trust just anyone to do it?
If your answer is no, then you’re in the right place.
Okay so here’s the deal:
Your first case study (involving up to 3, hour-long interviews) for just $2,227 +GST
The service includes:
- A secure dropbox so that you can provide any contextual information about your business, service, or tone and style.
- Conversations about style, so that your case study fits your brand’s voice.
- 2 x email templates for you to use: One to get a “yes!” from your intended subject, and one to introduce them to us. All you have to do is copy and paste.
- All administrative minutiae, including arranging interviews directly with your subjects, so you don’t have to find the time.
- Interview preparation, including any additional research that may be required, depending on your industry.
- Interviews and transcripts. All interviews are audio-recorded. We partner with Rev for secure transcribing.
- An ethical guarantee: We uphold the Australian Press Council’s Statements of Principles.
- Right of review for all participating subjects, to ensure that they and their brands are correctly represented.
- 1 x iteration for every subject, to ensure that they are happy with any changes.
- 1 x iteration for you, to ensure that the case study meets your content requirements.
- Final delivery in a format of your choice: We can provide content in Markdown, PDF, HTML (styled or unstyled), RTF, ePUB, Word, LaTeX, and more.
If you pay upfront, you’ll also get the following bonuses:
- BONUS: Your second and subsequent case studies for $1,790 each +GST
- BONUS: One hour with an Expert Pixie to help you understand how to leverage your new asset, normally valued at $300 +GST.
This is more than $4,700 value for just $2,227 +GST.
To take advantage of this offer, all you need to do is fill in the form at the bottom of this page and click send!
You need to know that the bonuses disappear at midnight Central Australian Time on 1 July 2019. To get yours now: